How often do I need to get a background check?
If you have a Lifetime License you will need to submit a request for a background check at least once every 5 years via our online educator licensing portal (ELO). The deadline to submit a request is June 30 of your fifth year.
Steps to get a background check if you have a Lifetime License
1. Determine Fingerprint Requirement
Use this decision tree to determine if this step is needed.
2. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO) .
- Find the MANAGE YOUR EXISTING LICENSES section of the Quick Start Menu.
- Choose “Request Background Check - Lifetime License (5900)” in the drop-down menu and click GO! See screenshot below:
- Review each page of the application for accuracy and click “SUBMIT” and receive an email confirmation.
3. Complete Application on ELO
- Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
- Review your fees.
- Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions). Please preview the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire ahead of time to determine if documentation is required.
- Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card.
Note: If you have multiple Lifetime licenses, you only need to complete a "5900 - Lifetime Background Update" application for one of those Lifetime licenses. It does not matter under which Lifetime license you submit the "5900 - Lifetime Background Update" application
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status page.