This application is for educators who are applying for a new Driver’s Education teaching license they have never held before, earned by completing a Wisconsin Educator Preparation Program (EPP). The Driver’s Education license is a supplementary teaching license, meaning you must already hold a teaching license to be eligible to obtain the Driver’s Education teaching license.
How to Apply
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
- Use the fingerprint decision tree to determine if this step is needed. If you have determined that you need fingerprints, submit them electronically via our vendor Fieldprint by following the Electronic Fingerprint Submission directions.
2. Gather Documents
- Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct.
- Confirm with your EPP that your license endorsement has already been submitted to the DPI. This Endorsed Candidates for Licensure (ECL) data is required to complete your online license application. If you are unsure whether your EPP has submitted this data to the DPI, please contact the Certification Officer at your EPP.
If you determine that you need to provide documents in ELO, please scan to files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
- Find the Start a New Transaction for a New License section of the Quick Start Menu. Select the same choices in the three drop-downs in the application screenshot below:
- Choose "1-Teacher Category"
- Choose "N-Teacher - Driver Education License [T021]"
- Choose "Driver Education: Request Initial Educator License - In-State WI Program ]1020]"
Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
- Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
- Review your fees.
- Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions).
- Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card. For fee amounts and additional payment information please see License Application Fees.
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status page.