This application is for people who are both:
- Employed or seeking to be employed by a school district as a School Occupational Therapist, School Occupational Therapy Assistant, School Physical Therapist or School Physical Therapy Assistant
- Hold the State of Wisconsin Department of Safety & Professional Services (DSPS) license in Occupational Therapy (OT), Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) or Physical Therapy (PT).
- If you are applying for a School Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA) license, you are not required to hold the DSPS license for your initial application. Instead, you are required to graduate from a Physical Therapist Assistant associate degree program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education.
How to Apply
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
- Use the fingerprint decision tree to determine if this step is needed. If you have determined that you need fingerprints, submit them electronically via our vendor Fieldprint by following the Electronic Fingerprint Submission directions.
2. Gather Documents
Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
- Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct.
- A copy of the DSPS license or wallet card.
- For a School Physical Therapy Assistant license: see the Transcripts for License Application page for transcript requirements.
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
- Find the APPLY FOR A NEW LICENSE section of the Quick Start Menu. Select the same choices in the three drop-downs in the application screenshots below based on license type:
Option 1: Apply for School Occupational Therapy license
Option 2: Apply for School Occupational Therapy Assistant license
Option 3: Apply for School Physical Therapy license
Option 4: Apply for School Physical Therapy Assistant license
- Choose "4-Other Category"
- Choose School OT, OT Assistant, PT, or PT Assistant License
- Choose ""
- Click the “GO!” button.
- Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
- Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
- Review your fees.
- Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions).
- Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card. For fee amounts and additional payment information please see License Application Fees.
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status page.