This application is for educators who are applying for either a new Wisconsin teacher license or adding on a new subject to an existing Wisconsin teacher license, based on either a valid teacher license from outside Wisconsin and experience or completion of a preparation program out of state.
How to Apply
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
- Use the fingerprint decision tree to determine if this step is needed. If you have determined that you need fingerprints, submit them electronically via our vendor Fieldprint by following the Electronic Fingerprint Submission directions.
2. Gather Documents
- Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct.
- Valid license from another state
- PI-1613-Employment Verification
- PI-1612-Institutional Endorsement-T
- Bachelor’s degree transcripts
- Any additional college transcripts where credit and or degree was earned
- Foundations of Reading Test (FORT) score report
- Praxis II score report
- Other state content test score report
*Not all tests are required. In some cases, it may be possible to obtain a Wisconsin license even if you have not completed all Wisconsin testing requirements at the time of application. If this applies to you, please upload a written statement identifying the testing requirement(s) you have not met. When we review your application, we will determine what license you are entitled to without those tests.
Important Note on Documents
- DPI licensure decisions are based on the documentation you provide with your application. Therefore, it is best to include as many documents listed above as possible. Please scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size.
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
- Select “Out of State Program ” application under “Apply for a new license” on the Quick Start Menu, and click on “Go”
- Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
- Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
- Review your fees.
- Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions).
- Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card. For fee amounts and additional payment information please see License Application Fees.
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see Check Application Status.