You are here

Teacher From Outside of U.S. Pathways


Pathway for Educators Prepared Outside the United States

Educators who are prepared outside the United States may be eligible for an educator license in Wisconsin. Eligibility is determined based on the general requirements for a Wisconsin educator license:

  1. Applicants must have the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree in education, or
  2. Applicants must have the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree with teacher training and received a teacher certificate or credential.
  3. Applicants must complete all Wisconsin testing requirements.

Credential Evaluation*

Prospective applicants must first contact a professional evaluation service agency for an assessment of their credentials in terms of degree, course equivalence, and translation of course titles.

The following is the list of evaluation agencies commonly used by applicants. The Department is not endorsing any agency but merely providing this list for convenience.

Please contact each agency directly for more information including their fee information.

Prospective applicants should carefully review the credential evaluation report prepared by the professional evaluation agency to determine whether they have the equivalent of the professional training (i.e. degree, professional teacher training) required for a Wisconsin educator license. If so, they may proceed to the license application process.

*If you completed an approved program in an American territory (American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, or Virgin Islands) you are not required to have a credential evaluation completed. Transcripts must be in English.

Three-Year Short-Term Substitute License

If the credential evaluation does not verify the equivalent of bachelor’s degree in education or completion of teacher training program, but does verify a bachelor’s or associate's degree in a subject area, applicants may be eligible for a Three-Year Short-Term Substitute license.  For more information about the Three-Year Short-Term Substitute license, please see the Three-Year Short-Term Substitute License page.

Testing Requirements

Applicants must complete all Wisconsin testing requirements, including basic skills and content area tests specific to the license(s) sought, before a Wisconsin educator license may be issued.  For more information please see Testing Requirements for Wisconsin Educator Preparation Programs.

License Application Process

To apply for a Wisconsin educator license: ELO System.

  1. Determine if you are required to submit fingerprints as part of the background check process.
  2. If you do not have a valid social security number please use a passport number, if you have questions reach out via our contact us page.
  3. Carefully complete all information required on the application.
    • You will most likely apply using the out of state application  To do so select “Out of State Program [1025]” application under “Apply for a new license” on the Quick Start Menu, and click on “Go”

  4. Upload all relevant supporting documentation with the application:
    • Original course-by-course credential evaluation report prepared by a professional credential evaluation agency.
    • Copy of any educator license issued by a state department of education if applicable.
    • Copies of passing scores from all tests required for Wisconsin licensure.
  5. Upload a completed PI-1613 Experience Verification form(s) if applicable. This form must be completed by each employer that is listed in your application.
  6. Carefully answer every question on the Conduct and Competency. Upload supporting documentation as instructed.
  7. Submit fingerprints electronically if applicable.
  8. Pay the application fee.

Incomplete applications will delay processing. When incomplete applications are reviewed, applicants are notified with specific instructions regarding missing information. Please respond promptly to avoid further delay the processing of the application.

Statutory Stipulations

Applicants who completed non-Wisconsin (including non-US) educator preparation programs are commonly issued a Wisconsin license with statutory stipulations. Additional coursework is required to remove the statutory stipulations before a regular license may be issued (see Statutory License Stipulations).

Submit questions and comments about this information to the Licensing Online Help desk.