Guest Teacher License
The Guest Teacher license is a Tier I license issued to those teachers who are employed in Wisconsin as part of a teacher exchange or guest teacher program. This is a three-year, time-limited license that allows eligible educators from other nations to come to the U.S. to teach in Wisconsin
Requirements for Wisconsin School Districts
- Research the accreditation and quality of identified international teacher exchange or guest teacher programs
- Work with the sponsoring agency to fulfill program requirements
- Secure the required work VISA in cooperation with the international teacher and the sponsoring agency
- Assist the candidate with the application process for Wisconsin licensure by completing the Supplemental Form PI-1624-GUEST
- Provide professional learning, mentoring and coaching opportunities to support the visiting educator.
Requirements for International Teachers
- Hold, at a minimum, the equivalent of a U.S Baccalaureate degree as determined by a foreign credentialing agency recognized by Wisconsin. (https://dpi.wi.gov/licensing/pathways-licensure/outside-us-pathway)
- Have completed the equivalent of an approved teacher preparation program outside the U.S. and are authorized to teach in the country of the teacher exchange.
- Be proficient in English
Application Process for Guest Teacher License
An applicant who meets the criteria listed above will follow the directions in ELO using T001-1115 application.
Submit questions and comments about this information to the Licensing Online Help desk
This license can be renewed for one additional license term with the above application. There are no additional requirements for renewing this license; however, guest teachers and employing school districts need to understand and follow visa and other immigration requirements.