How to Apply for a Lifetime License
1. Determine Background Check Status
If you have lived outside of Wisconsin in the last 20 years, you may have to schedule an appointment to submit fingerprints. Use this decision tree to determine if this step is needed.
2. Gather Documents
- Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct.
- Complete the Employment Verification form (PI-1613). This requires a signature from your district administrator or personnel director. If your six semesters were done with different employers, you will need to submit a verification form for each one. Once you recieve the signed form(s), scan to a file that is 2MB or smaller.
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO) with your WAMS ID
- Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions, and that your current license(s) are listed in your profile.
- Go to the ELO’s Quick Start Menu/ Apply for a License. See screenshot below:
- Choose either “1-Teacher”, “2-Administrator”, or “3- Pupil Services” Category in the drop down menu.
- Choose “Request Lifetime License (8000)” in the drop-down menu and click “GO!”
- Review each page of the application for accuracy and click “SUBMIT.”
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
- Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
- Review your fees.
- Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions).
- Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card.
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status page.