Candidates who may be initially eligible for a license on this page are those people employed as teachers, pupil service staff (e.g. school counselor, school social worker, school psychologist, school nurse) or administrators who have earned at least a bachelor’s degree, but are not yet eligible for the license needed for their assignment.
- This license must be requested by the employing school board and is valid for one year. It can potentially be renewed/extended one time for a total of two years.
- The applicant must have been admitted to an approved program leading to a license for the administrative position.
- The applicant must submit a written plan to the department that explains how he or she will complete the program within two years. The written plan must be approved by the institution offering the approved program and the employing school board.
How to Apply
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
- Use the fingerprint decision tree to determine if this step is needed. If you have determined that you need fingerprints, submit them electronically via our vendor Fieldprint by following the Electronic Fingerprint Submission directions.
2. Gather Documents
Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
- Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct
- PI-1622-Admin One-Year Admin School Board Request form
- PI-1613 Employment Verification form
- Signed program plan from an educator preparation program that confirms enrollment in order to obtain the necessary license AND includes the anticipated completion date
- Pupil services professionals (i.e., school counselors, psychologists, and social workers) must also attach a letter signed by a school administrator from employing district(s) confirming at least 540 hours of successful PK-12 classroom teaching experience.
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
- Find the APPLY FOR A NEW LICENSE section of the Quick Start Menu. Select the same choices in the three drop-down in the application screenshot below:
- Choose "2-Administrator Category"
- Choose "B-Administrator - Board Requested One-Year License [A201]"
- Choose "Administrator: New Board Requested One-Year Admin License "
- Click the “GO!” button.
- Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
- Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
- Review your fees.
- Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions).
- Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card. For fee amounts and additional payment information please see License Application Fees.
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status webpage.