This application is for teachers or administrators who already hold a license from another state and have at least one year of regular employment working in a school under that license. These educators have not completed the Wisconsin requirements of the Out-of-State pathway.
The License Based on Reciprocity pathway provides a tier II/three-year teacher or administrator license.
How to Apply
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
2. Gather Documents
Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
- Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct.
- For teachers PI-1613 Employment Verification form documenting at least one year teaching experience in another state or in Wisconsin while holding a valid Wisconsin teaching license.
- For administrators PI-1613 Employment Verification form documenting at least one year of administrative experience in another state.
- Copy of valid license in good standing from another state.
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
Select “Out of State Program ” application under “Apply for a new license” on the Quick Start Menu, and click on “Go”
Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.
- Choose either "1-Teacher" or "2-Administrator" category
- Choose either "A-Teacher [T001]" or A-Administrator [A001]"
- Choose either "Teacher "or "Administrator " Request Wisconsin License Based on Out of State Reciprocity
- Click the “GO!” button.
- Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see Check Application Status.