This application is for educators who have completed an approved educator preparation program headquartered in Wisconsin, and who wish to apply for a five-year substitute license. Educators must receive the endorsement from their preparation program to apply for the five-year substitute license.
The applicant may apply for a one-year license with stipulations if requested by the employing school district. This license requires the license holder to be enrolled in and complete a state-approved educator preparation program in the subject or grade level of their assignment. This license is issued for a period of 1 year and may be renewed.
How to Apply for a Five-Year Substitute License
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
- Use the fingerprint decision tree to determine if this step is needed. If you have determined that you need fingerprints, submit them electronically via our vendor Fieldprint by following the Electronic Fingerprint Submission directions.
2. Gather Documents
Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
- Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct.
- If you DO NOT or HAVE NOT held an initial or professional educator license in Wisconsin, you will need to scan and save a completed PI-1612 Institutional Endorsement and Assurances form.
- If you DO HOLD or HAVE HELD an initial or professional educator license in Wisconsin, you will need to upload a copy of your current or previous Wisconsin license into the application. Follow the directions under "How do I print my license?" to access a copy. If you are not able to access a copy of the license, you can upload a word document that contains the license information shown in License Lookup to prove you hold or have held this license.
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Choose "1-Teacher Category"
- Choose "A-Teacher [T001]"
- Choose "Teacher: Request Substitute Teacher 5 year - In-State WI Program "
- Click the “GO!” button.
- Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status page.