This application is for educators who have completed an approved educator preparation program headquartered outside of Wisconsin, and who wish to apply for a five-year substitute license. Educators must receive the endorsement from their preparation program to apply for the five-year substitute license.
How to Apply
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
- Use the fingerprint decision tree to determine if this step is needed. If you have determined that you need fingerprints, submit them electronically via our vendor Fieldprint by following the Electronic Fingerprint Submission directions.
2. Gather Documents
Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
- Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct.
- Transcripts showing your bachelor’s degree.
- A letter (it could be handwritten and scanned or it could be typed as a word document) stating that you only want a substitute license.
- A copy of a valid regular educator license for teaching, administration or pupil services issued by another state OR a completed PI-1612 Institutional Endorsement and Assurances form
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Choose "1-Teacher Category"
- Choose "A-Teacher (including 5-Year Sub) [T001]"
- Choose "Teacher: Request Initial Educator 5 year - Out of State Program "
- Click the “GO!” button.
- Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status page.