You are here

Transcripts for License Application

Transcripts used for license application(s) must

  • be the scanned image of an official transcript.  
  • list the educator's name
  • contain the name and address of the college or university
  • list the course name/s, grade, and number of credits earned
  • display the term when the credits were earned
  • be in a file with no password protection (see Transcripts in a Password-protected Portfolio for directions on how to extract your transcript).
  • If the purpose of the transcript is to verify a degree, the transcripts must include the degree issued and the conferred date.

Note: Make sure that the file name of the scanned transcript contains only letters and/or numbers (no special characters).

Transcripts should not have an expiration date

Many electronic transcripts have an expiration date. It is the applicant's responsibility to extract the file or print it out and scan it in to create a PDF that can be saved. 

Do not have your transcripts mailed directly to DPI

Our team has been reconfigured for electronic workflow, so sending any paper transcripts increases the chances that they may not get correctly attached to your application and/or that the processing of your application will be significantly delayed. 

If you can only receive a paper copy, then have the paper copy sent to you so that you can scan it and upload it to your application.  For best results, use a multifunction copier that automatically creates a PDF file.

The following are unacceptable forms of transcripts:

  • transcripts marked as unofficial.
  • online grade reports copied and pasted into a word processing or other document.
  • blurry documents.
  • files greater than 2MB in size.
  • grade reports from an institution that is not an accredited college or university.

Additional Notes:

  • Diplomas are not official transcripts.
  • Some institutions grant quarter credits rather than semester credits.  Nine (9) quarter credits equal six (6) semester credits.


    • If you are not sure whether a college or university is on a quarter credit or semester credit system, call the university registrar’s office. They will let you know what credit system the university operates on.
    • Quarter credits are equal to 2/3 of a semester credit.  For those taking quarter credits, to determine how many of the six semester credits you have completed, multiply the number of quarter credits you have taken by 2/3.  For example, if you have taken 5 quarter credits, you have taken 3 and 1/3 (3.33) semester credits ((5*2)/3).  Thus, you still need to take 2 and 2/3 semester credits or 4 quarter credits.
  • Courses taken through third-party providers (e.g., Learner’s Edge) must be documented by transcripts from the accredited college or university that granted the credits; grade reports from third party providers are not acceptable.

Transcripts from colleges or universities located outside of the United States:

If you obtained a degree from a college or university located outside of the United States or an American territory you must obtain a credential evaluation to verify the degree you earned.

Credential Evaluation*

Prospective applicants who graduated from an out-of-country institution must first contact a professional evaluation service agency for a course-by-course evaluation of their credentials. The credentialing agency will need to determine whether an applicant has the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree, whether the applicant completed a teacher training program, course equivalencies, and translation of course titles.

The department recognizes any agency on these lists. The department does not accept credential evaluations from agencies other than those recognized below.

Please contact each agency directly for more information including their fee information.

*If you completed an approved program in an American territory (American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, or Virgin Islands) you are not required to have a credential evaluation completed. Transcripts must be in English.

If an applicant’s credential evaluation shows completion of a U.S equivalent of an associate’s degree the applicant may be eligible for a Three-Year Short-Term Substitute License.

Transcripts in a Password-protected Portfolio

If your transcripts come in a password protected portfolio, you need to EXTRACT the pdf from the portfolio to remove the password requirement.  To do so:

  1. Access the transcript per the email you receive from NSC.


    1. It’s in a “portfolio” format so it can be bundled with the security features.
    2. Download the transcript to your computer.
  2. Start your Adobe Reader/Adobe Acrobat program
    1. File > Open > [the NSC transcript just downloaded]
    2. Double-click the image to open the transcript
  3. On the Adobe menu bar, do:
    1. File > Extract File from Portfolio
    2. RENAME the extracted pdf. We suggest adding your last name and ELO id number.
    3. CONFIRM that the extracted, renamed file opens and does NOT ask for a password.
    4. If not, then repeat the process.
  4. Upload the EXTRACTED pdf file with the new filename to DPI.  Do not send the NSC portfolio. We will not be able to open it to confirm your credits.

Submit questions and comments about this information to the Licensing Online Help desk.