Directions to Qualify for the Wisconsin Master Educator Assessment Process (WMEAP)
Obtaining a Master Educator license through WMEAP requires two applications
- In Application 1, applicants complete the initial application for the WMEAP for approval to complete the portfolio.
- In Application 2, eligible applicants will submit their completed WMEAP portfolio for review and assessment.
The license is issued upon satisfactory completion and approval of both WMEAP applications. Each application includes a non-refundable fee.
WMEAP applicants will need to:
- Provide general information;
- Identify the Master License category for which they are applying (Teacher, Administration, or Pupil Services);
- Identify the Master License type for the specific field (e.g., principal, school social worker, speech and language pathology) they are requesting;
- Provide current and previous license(s) held that correspond to the Master License for which they are applying. No initial, emergency, one-year, substitute, with stipulations licenses or permits can be used;
- Provide an official transcript specifying a Master’s or Doctoral degree major related to the field of PK-12 education. If the connection between a Master’s degree and Master Educator license is not obvious, please provide rationale ;
- Provide a completed PI-1613-WMEAP Employment Verification form(s) to confirm five years of successful experience at the Lifetime license level; in the specific field in which they are requesting a Master Educator License. Applicants may need to submit multiple employment forms. Experience with an initial, emergency, one-year, substitute, with stipulations licenses or permits cannot be used. Applicants must be officially employed in their specific field while completing their portfolio;
- Provide a summary of two to five contributions they have made to the education profession within the past five years, and two to five pieces of evidence to document those contributions;
- Provide a summary of how they had an impact on improving pupil learning within the last five years, and evidence to support improved pupil learning;
- Read and answer the Conduct and Competency questionnaire. Upload supporting documentation, if required;
- Attest the information submitted is true; and
- Pay the license application fee.
Submitting Application 1 for the Wisconsin Master Educator Assessment Process
Educators completing the application for the WMEAP will complete Application 1 by using the Wisconsin Educator Licensing Online (ELO) application system.
Please read through all of the following steps prior to completing Application 1.
Be certain you qualify for the WMEAP by reading the information on the website before submitting an application and fee. Information is found on the Master Educator License page.
The WMEAP is a voluntary professional development activity resulting in a Lifetime Master Educator License when the candidate is successful. All required forms, materials, and nonrefundable fee must be received by March 31 in one complete submission.
Incomplete or late applications and ineligible applicants will not be eligible to proceed through the WMEAP during the year the initial application was submitted. Applicants with disapproved applications may resubmit an application the following March 31 with another application fee.
- Current DPI Professional Educator License
- Education Contributions – Summary
- Education Contributions Evidence (2 to 5 pieces)
- Evidence of Impact on Pupils – Summary
- Evidence of Impact on Pupils (1 to 5 pieces)
- Supporting Documents
- WMEAP Employment Verification form(s)
Please scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size.
See directions and links for the ELO system. Provide general information, e.g., biographical information, program completion, degrees.
Upload a copy of your Wisconsin Lifetime License.
Upload the Education Contributions – Summary identifying two to five contributions you have made to the education profession in the last five years.
Upload Education Contributions Evidence (two to five pieces).
Upload the Evidence of Impact on Pupil Learning – Summary identifying how you had an impact on improving pupil learning within the last five years.
Upload the Evidence of Impact on Pupil Learning (1 to 5 pieces) that correlates with your summary.
Upload any other supporting documents, if necessary.
Upload official transcripts specifying a Master’s or Doctoral degree major related to the field of PK-12 education. If the connection between Master’s degree and Master Educator license is not obvious, please provide rationale.
Upload the PI 1613-WMEAP Employment Verification form(s).
Review the application to make sure all required documentation is uploaded.
Return to the Quick Start Menu and select “Access ELO Cart”, carefully read and answer the Conduct and Competency questionnaire. Upload supporting documentation if required.
Make payment (credit card, debit card or prepaid card). This fee covers the cost of the review of documents; no refund will be made regardless of whether or not approval is granted to proceed to Application 2 required for the Master Educator License.
When Application 1 is Complete
After a review of Application 1, you will receive an email notifying you of the results of the department’s review and, if approved, how to proceed to Application 2. Only applicants who are informed they have successfully completed Application 1 will be invited to complete Application 2 of the WMEAP Portfolio submission process.