Candidates who may be initially eligible for a license on this page are those people employed as teachers, pupil service staff (e.g. school counselor, school social worker, school psychologist, school nurse) or administrators who have earned at least a bachelor’s degree, but are not yet eligible for the license needed for their assignment.
- This license must be requested by the employing school board and is valid for one year. It can potentially be renewed/extended one time for a total of two years.
- The applicant must have been admitted to an approved program leading to a license for the administrative position.
- The applicant must submit a written plan to the department that explains how he or she will complete the program within two years. The written plan must be approved by the institution offering the approved program and the employing school board.
How to Apply
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
2. Gather Documents
Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
- PI-1622-Admin One-Year Admin School Board Request form
- PI-1613 Employment Verification form
- Signed program plan from an educator preparation program that confirms enrollment in order to obtain the necessary license AND includes the anticipated completion date
- Pupil services professionals (i.e., school counselors, psychologists, and social workers) must also attach a letter signed by a school administrator from employing district(s) confirming at least 540 hours of successful PK-12 classroom teaching experience.
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Choose "2-Administrator Category"
- Choose "B-Administrator - Board Requested One-Year License [A201]"
- Choose "Administrator: New Board Requested One-Year Admin License "
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status webpage.