You are here

Apply for an Educator License

Latest Licensing News Blog

Important Notice


There have been many recent changes to licensure in statute and rule.  Please review the Latest Licensing News blog for updates on current licensing requirements.


Please note:

When you submit a complete and accurate renewal application before June 30th of the year in which your license expires, Wis. Stat. 227.51 (2) provides that your existing license does not expire until the DPI completes the processing of your renewal application.

Please note:

We can no longer accept license applications for the 2017-2018 school year.

Educators apply for Wisconsin Initial Licenses and Renewal Licenses in teaching, pupil services, administrator, and other license categories using the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system. ELO allows educators to provide the information, supporting materials, and payment needed for DPI to process their license applications. The system streamlines the application process and allows the applicant to manage their own licensing information, including printing a copy of their license certificate and renewing their licenses when applicable. 

We have directions for each license type to help you complete your application correctly and efficiently. Click on a section below.


Apply to Obtain or Maintain a Lifetime License

Application directions for educators who are applying for a Lifetime license based on holding a prior DPI license and completing necessary experience or applying for background check to maintain Lifetime license.

Reissue, Reactivate, or Extend

Apply to Reissue a Provisional License

Application directions for educators who are applying to Reissue a Provisional License.

Initial Wisconsin

Initial - WI

Apply for a new license based on completing a Wisconsin educator prep program.

Apply for a new license based on completing an educator prep program in another state.

Substitute or Emergency

Substitute or Licenses with Stipulations

Apply for a substitute or license with stipulations as a teacher, administrator, or pupil services professional



  • Initial Master Educator
  • License via National Board
  • Adding a Related Teacher License Based on a Content Test
  • Wisconsin DPI License Based on Equivalency (LBE)
  • Teacher Intern
  • Special Education Program Aide
  • Occupational or Physical Therapist/Therapy Assistant
  • Drivers Ed
  • Indian Language/
  • Orientation & Mobility
  • Audiology
  • Charter School
  • Conversion of Professional Teacher License to PI 34 Developmental Levels
  • Professional Teaching Permit
  • Trade Specialist
  • Experience-based Technology Education