Directions for first-time applications by educators prepared in Wisconsin prior to 9/1/2004 or for educators who had applied through our out-of-state pathway but had not completed all testing requirements at time of application:
STEP 1: Have your Educator Preparation Program (EPP) complete a PI-1612 Institutional Endorsement form.
The PI-1612 Institutional Endorsement form is available at https://dpi.wi.gov/tepdl/elo/supplementary-forms. After it is completed, please scan it into a PDF file that is less than 2MB in size. You will upload this form during the application process. For those educators who were previously given a one-year license because they had not completed all required Wisconsin tests, upload your Praxis score report in lieu of the PI-1612 Institutional Endorsement form.
STEP 2: Create a WAMS (Wisconsin Access Management System) ID if you do not already have one.
It is recommended that applicants use a personal email address when creating an ELO account. This email address must be available and accessible by the applicants as it will be the primary communication method from the licensing system.
- Please follow the instructions on the screen when setting up a WAMS account. There are links to the WAMS Help page and the WAMS FAQ page. For assistance in setting up WAMS account, contact Help Wisconsin Support
- Guide to creating a WAMS ID
STEP 3: If you have ever applied for and/or been issued a license by DPI, successfully "onboard" into the ELO system by connecting your WAMS account to an existing account - Onboarding Instructions
STEP 4: Determine whether you need to get fingerprinted.
The following applicants are required to submit fingerprints to the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) when applying for a license:
- Applicants who have worked, resided, or physically attended classes in any of the locations listed below within the last twenty years (after age 17):
- U.S. states other than Wisconsin
- Listed U.S. territories (American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, or Virgin Islands)
- Great Britain (England, Scotland, or Wales)
- Applicants, who since their most recent submission of fingerprints to DPI have worked, resided, or physically attended classes in any locations listed above.
- Applicants who provide an address on their application that is in any of the locations listed above.
If you need to get fingerprinted, see https://dpi.wi.gov/tepdl/licensing/fingerprint for how to complete this.
STEP 5: Preview the Conduct and Competency questions you will be answering in ELO
- Read ELO's Conduct and Competency Questions
IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happened. You must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)
STEP 6: Have your credit card ready
- If you do not already have a credit card, purchase a pre-paid credit card at a convenience store.
- Cash and checks are not accepted.
STEP 7: Log into the ELO system - http://elo.wieducatorlicensing.org to apply.
Note: Using ELO on Macintosh OS X or on mobile devices may result in unexpected behavior.
The bottom section allows you to start a new application. Choose the one for your license category:
Complete each screen and click "Next" to go on to the next screen. Continue until you click the "Submit" button.
If you have more than one license for which you want to apply, you will need to repeat the process for each license.
Do not check out until you have submitted applications for all of the licenses you want to renew