You are here

Renewing a DPI-issued License or Permit

DPI is currently receiving a high volume of contacts for assistance.  The four most common topics of discussion are:

Latest Licensing News

Help with WAMS IDs

Before you can submit an application to DPI, you must register for a Web Access Management Systems (WAMS) user ID.

How to set up a WAMS account

Already have one or more WAMS accounts?

How to start your WAMS account recovery:

Perform a WAMS account recovery for all emails you have. Enter your email address but do NOT enter your User ID to start your WAMS account recovery. Once in the account recovery process you will be prompted to change your password. After you change your password you will be told in parentheses what your correct User ID is. Please make note of that before you terminate the account recovery session. Once you have recovered all WAMS accounts you have, login to ELO with each of your accounts individually. If you can see your licenses, you are logging in with the correct WAMS account. If you are taken through the Onboarding process again, you are not using the correct WAMS account and should try another account.

If you encounter errors in the WAMS account recovery process, please contact WAMS directly.  DPI is unable to help with WAMS recovery because the system is used by many state agencies and is run by the Department of Administration:

All applications to renew a license or permit are made in our Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system. Requirements to renew a license or permit depend on the type of license an educator holds or held and when the educator completed the educator prep program.

In general, licenses and permits issued by the DPI have a start date of July 1 expiring on June 30. Important: Do not attempt to submit a renewal application until after January 1 of the year your license expires. Trying to renew earlier will cause a warning in the ELO system, and trying to submit a different application transaction will delay the processing of your renewal.

Note: Renewal applications are processed with an effective date of July 1st in the year in which they were received. If an application is submitted before the year the license expires, the new license will have a five-year term, but this will shorten the term of the existing license being renewed.

Follow these general directions for renewing your license/permit:

  • To avoid delay in processing your application, please submit a complete application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Applicants who submit incomplete application are notified of the specific errors or omissions. Applicants should promptly respond with all necessary information to complete the application.
  • When you submit a complete and accurate renewal application before June 30th of the year in which your license expires, Wis. Stat. 227.51 (2) provides that your existing license does not expire until the DPI completes the processing of your renewal application.
  • Not every license type has a specific renewal application.  Some license types are "renewed" by applying for a new license.
  • Military personnel who are in active duty status at the time of license expiration/renewal may be eligible for a waiver of fee and professional growth requirement. Please refer to Act 209 web page for more information.
  • If an applicant holds multiple licenses with different expiration dates they can request that their license cycles be synchronized when they apply for renewal. Eligibility depends on factors such as license types, license stages, and when the professional growth requirement was completed.

Professional Growth Requirement

Different DPI licenses have different renewal requirements. Provisional license holders can continue to renew their Provisional license as many times as needed until they complete six semesters of successful experience in the category of their Provisional license.  There is no professional development requirement to renew the Provisional license.

A Lifetime license will be invalidated if an educator is not actively employed by a school district for five or more consecutive years.  The Lifetime license will be invalidated if the educator fails to log into the online system and submit to a background check (and pay a processing fee) once every five years. Educators are able to reapply for a Provisional license at any time.

Educators who hold a Special Education Program Aide, Short-term Substitute, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, or any other kind of DPI license not mentioned above have different renewal requirements. Please see

For information about transcript requirements for license renewal, please go to


Related Links: