You are here

License Stipulations

Educators in Wisconsin are licensed based on the completion of a state-approved educator preparation program. All educator preparation programs in Wisconsin that are approved by the State Superintendent have incorporated all the statutory requirements as stated in Wis. Stat. 118.19 and Wis. Admin. Code PI 34.

It is not likely that a state-approved educator preparation program outside of Wisconsin will have the same statutory requirements in their programs because each state has its own licensing requirements. As a result, applicants for a Wisconsin educator license who completed their program outside of Wisconsin will not usually have fulfilled all the statutory requirements for a Wisconsin educator license.  Applicants who are otherwise eligible for a Wisconsin license based on their credentials may be issued a license with stipulations.  For a list of stipulations, please see

License with Stipulations

If an educator is issued a license with stipulations, they will receive a stipulation letter along with their license certificate. The license holder should retain the stipulation letter. A few things to note about license with stipulations:

  • Licenses with stipulations are non-renewable.
  • All stipulations must be satisfied or removed during the 5-year of the license period, before the expiration date of the license, in order to obtain a regular educator license (without stipulation).
  • Educators who hold Initial Educator License with Stipulations must remove all stipulations and successfully complete a Professional Development Plan (PDP) before they can advance to the Professional Educator License level.
  • Educators who hold a Professional Educator License with Stipulations must remove all stipulations and fulfill all professional growth requirements (PDP or six semester credit, depending on their license type) before they can renew their Professional Educator License as a license without stipulation.

Professional development is required for removing all stipulations except conflict resolution and student teaching.  The requirements for these latter two can be met through experience.  Educators must provide evidence of meeting stipulations when applying to renew or advance their license.

Believe You Already Met a Stipulation?

If you feel that you have already completed coursework that covers any stipulations cited when your license was issued by the DPI, make a copy of the stipulation letter and send it to the college or university where you completed your educator preparation program. Request that an official from that college or university (preferably the certification officer or dean of the education department) forward a letter of verification to the DPI, indicating that specific coursework satisfies one or more of the stipulations.

Conflict Resolution

The Conflict Resolution stipulation can also be met with a letter from the educator's school district supervisor attesting that the educator has demonstrated competency in all of the following:

  1. Resolving conflicts between pupils and between pupils and school staff.
  2. Assisting pupils in learning methods of resolving conflicts between pupils and between pupils and school staff, including training in the use of peer mediation to resolve conflicts between pupils.
  3. Dealing with crises, including violent, disruptive, potentially violent or potentially disruptive situations, that may arise in school or at activities supervised by a school as a result of conflicts between pupils or between pupils and other persons.

Student Teaching - Not Enough Weeks

State law requires that teachers complete a full semester of full-time student teaching.  Teachers whose preparation program required less than 18 weeks can meet this stipulation with a verification of employment as a teacher for two consecutive semesters.

These verifications should be uploaded with your application to renew or advance your license.

Courses and Workshops that Address Stipulations

Any identified stipulation that can be fulfilled through coursework can be completed at any approved program. However, the following includes information of programs created specifically to the needs of educators who holds license with stipulations.

Program Name Contact Information/Stipulations Courses


Kris Schrimpf

(262) 787-9500, ext. 9523

CESA 1 Website

  • Conflict Resolution
  • Environmental Education
  • Human Relations


Nancy Jaeger

(920) 236-0508

CESA 6 Website


Becky Broderick

Ron Tomes

(920) 617-5626

CESA 7 Website: TDC/Alternative Licensure program.

  • Conflict resolution
  • Special education
The Network/ CESA 11

Melissa Moe

(715) 986-2020 Ext. 2127

The Network website

  • Wisconsin American Indian Studies E-course

UW Colleges (13 campuses and online)

Renee Gralewicz
(920) 832-0132

Anthropology and Sociology Department Website

  • Wisconsin Native American bands and tribes
    • American Indian Studies (AIS) 101 – American Indian Studies, 3 cr. – offered online every semester and summer
    • Anthropology/American Indian Studies (ANT/AIS) 314 – Indians of North America, 3 cr. – offered online every spring semester and on a number of UW Colleges campuses
    • Anthropology/American Indian Studies (ANT/AIS) 302 – Archaeology of Wisconsin, 3 cr. – offered on some UW Colleges campuses
    • non-credit 4 week online course - Wisconsin Indians Today

UW – Eau Claire

UW-Eau Claire Continuing Education
(715) 836-3636

UW-Eau Claire Continuing Education Website

  • HIST 705 - Studies in History for Teachers: Wisconsin Indian History

UW – Green Bay

UW–Green Bay Education Outreach
(920) 465-2480

UW-Green Bay Education Outreach Website

UW - La Crosse

UW-La Crosse School of Education
(608) 785-8134

UW-La Crosse School of Education Website


Edgewood College

Tami Koepsel
(608) 663-3404

Edgewood College School of Education Website

  • Wisconsin Native American bands and tribes
  • Conflict Resolution

UW – Extension Independent Learning

Independent Learning
(877) 895-3276

UW Independent Learning Website

  • Human Relations (including Wisconsin Native American bands and tribes)
  • Conflict resolution
  • Partial fulfillment of environmental education
  • Special education



Continuing Studies

(608) 265-8041

Mediation Techniques for Managing Conflict

  • Conflict Resolution

UW – Milwaukee

Kathy Berry

(414) 229-2738

UW-Milwaukee School of Education Website

  • Human Relations (including Wisconsin Native American bands and tribes)
  • Minority Group Relations
  • Conflict resolution
  • Environmental education
  • Special education
  • Reading and language arts
  • Cooperative Marketing and Consumer Cooperatives

Norda Education Programs

Mark Stensvold

EdNova Workshops

  • Minority Relations
  • Conflict resolution
  • Environmental education
  • Special education
  • Reading and language arts
  • Cooperatives
  • Early Childhood related coursework

UW – River Falls Continuing Education

Outreach Office

(715) 425-3256

UW-River Falls Continuing Education Website

  • Conflict resolution
  • Environmental education
  • Cooperatives
  • Wisconsin Native American bands and tribes

UW – Stevens Point School of Education

Continuing Education

(715) 346-3838

UW-Stevens Point Continuing Education Website

  • Human relations
  • Wisconsin Indian History, Treaties, and Sovereignty
  • Transforming conflict
  • Environmental education teaching methods through UW-SP continuing education or through LEAF

UW - Stout

School of Education – summer program (715) 232-4088

UW-Stout School of Education Website

  • Conflict resolution (EDUC-400-0010)

UW - Whitewater

School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education

(800) 621-5376

UW-Whitewater Continuing Education

  • Conflict resolution
  • Contemporary Indian issues in education for teachers
  • Environmental education
Crisis Prevention Institute

Crisis Prevention Institute

(800) 558-8976

Nonviolent Crisis Intervention

  • Conflict Resolution, choose from:
    • One-Day Seminar
    • Two-Day Foundation Course

Distance Learning Wisconsin