You are here

Educational Interpreter License Renewal

Latest Licensing News Blog

Important Notice


There have been many recent changes to licensure in statute and rule.  Please review the Latest Licensing News blog for updates on current licensing requirements.


License Renewal Requirement

An applicant must apply for renewal of their educational interpreter license in ELO – see

As part of the professional growth requirement (Semester Credit Option), applicants must successfully complete the educational interpreter performance assessment (EIPA) with a score of 3.0 or better. For information on completing the EIPA, please see

For applicants using the Semester Credit Option, they will need to earn a total of six semester credits. Of the six semester credits, they can earn one credit for successful completion of the EIPA. In addition, the following will continue to count toward renewal requirements:

One additional credit from one of the following interpreter assessment tools:

EIPA (regardless of score)
WITA assessment (level four or above for both interpretation and transliteration)
RID (proof of maintaining certification or taking an interpretation or transliteration performance test, regardless of the score)
EIPA written knowledge assessment
RID written knowledge examination.

One or two credits for mentoring as verified by an Interpreter Training Program (30 mentoring hours is equivalent to one credit);
Semester credits through the technical college system;
Semester credits earned at an accredited four-year degree granting college/university.

For questions about this information, contact Ariana Baker

For information on obtaining an initial educational interpreter license see: