You are here

Orientation and Mobility License

DPI is currently receiving a high volume of contacts for assistance.  The four most common topics of discussion are:

Latest Licensing News

Help with WAMS IDs

Before you can submit an application to DPI, you must register for a Web Access Management Systems (WAMS) user ID.

How to set up a WAMS account

Already have one or more WAMS accounts?

How to start your WAMS account recovery:

Perform a WAMS account recovery for all emails you have. Enter your email address but do NOT enter your User ID to start your WAMS account recovery. Once in the account recovery process you will be prompted to change your password. After you change your password you will be told in parentheses what your correct User ID is. Please make note of that before you terminate the account recovery session. Once you have recovered all WAMS accounts you have, login to ELO with each of your accounts individually. If you can see your licenses, you are logging in with the correct WAMS account. If you are taken through the Onboarding process again, you are not using the correct WAMS account and should try another account.

If you encounter errors in the WAMS account recovery process, please contact WAMS directly.  DPI is unable to help with WAMS recovery because the system is used by many state agencies and is run by the Department of Administration:

Obtaining an Orientation and Mobility License

To issue an Orientation and Mobility license for the first time, the department must review the applicant's application and transcripts to determine eligibility.  Follow the ELO First-time Application Tips for Orientation & Mobility License to apply for an Orientation and Mobility license.

An applicant is eligible for a regular license if they have completed all of the following:

1) Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of all of the following concepts:

  • Child or adolescent psychology;
  • Measurement and evaluation;
  • Psychology of education or educational psychology;
  • Curriculum and methods of instruction.


2) Completed an Orientation and Mobility program approved by the Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired. 


Renewing an Orientation and Mobility License

The PI 34 chapter regarding Orientation and Mobility licenses can be found under subchapter 10, Related Services Areas and Other Licenses, PI 34.089.  An Orientation and Mobility license may be renewed if the licensee meets one of the following requirements:

  • Obtain or maintain certification from the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals (ACVREP).
  • Completion of six semester credits from an accredited institution of higher education.

Note:  Orientation and Mobility licenses were not included in the Lifetime licenses that were created in the 2017-2019 state budget (2017 Wisconsin Act 59).


For questions about this information contact TEPDL.

Follow the ELO Application Tips for Renewing Other Licenses to apply to renew an Orientation and Mobility license.