You are here

Experience-based Technical and Vocational Education Subjects Pathway

DPI is currently receiving a high volume of contacts for assistance.  The four most common topics of discussion are:

Latest Licensing News

Help with WAMS IDs

Before you can submit an application to DPI, you must register for a Web Access Management Systems (WAMS) user ID.

How to set up a WAMS account

Already have one or more WAMS accounts?

How to start your WAMS account recovery:

Perform a WAMS account recovery for all emails you have. Enter your email address but do NOT enter your User ID to start your WAMS account recovery. Once in the account recovery process you will be prompted to change your password. After you change your password you will be told in parentheses what your correct User ID is. Please make note of that before you terminate the account recovery session. Once you have recovered all WAMS accounts you have, login to ELO with each of your accounts individually. If you can see your licenses, you are logging in with the correct WAMS account. If you are taken through the Onboarding process again, you are not using the correct WAMS account and should try another account.

If you encounter errors in the WAMS account recovery process, please contact WAMS directly.  DPI is unable to help with WAMS recovery because the system is used by many state agencies and is run by the Department of Administration:

Candidate Profile

  • Have training and/or experience in a trade, technical field, and/or vocational area
  • Have pedagogical training/experience
  • Have a district interested in hiring him/her to teach technical or vocational education subjects

Seeking an Experience-based Teacher License?

People who fit this pathway profile are being supported by a Wisconsin public school district to teach technical or vocational education in their school.  Technical education subjects include architecture and construction, biotechnology, broad-based technology education, communication and information technology, electronics, engineering, environmental technologies, manufacturing, power and energy, and transportation.  Vocational subjects include agriculture, child services, clothing services, food services, housing and equipment services, family and consumer education, family and consumer services, home economics-related occupations, health care-related occupations, business education, business and office, marketing education, and trade specialist.

Candidates must have training and/or experience in a technical or vocational field or a trade, as well as some training in how to teach (pedagogy). Qualification for this license is based on a system of points. Candidates must score at least 100 points, with at least 25 points for technical or vocational experience and at least 25 points for pedagogical experience.

Have questions about this pathway?  Please see the Frequently Asked Questions - Experience-Based Technical/Vocational Licensure webpage for more information.


If you fit this pathway profile:

  1. DETERMINE your eligibility by following the steps identified here: Experience-Based Technical or Vocational Education Subjects
  2. SELECT which experience-based license covers the subject areas your school district is requesting you to teach using the Experience-Based Subjects Crosswalk
  3. SEEK school district assistance in completing the PI-1623 Experience-Based Licensure for Technical or Vocational Education Subjects supplemental form
  4. APPLY for a license using the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system.