This application process does not require substitute training.
This three-year short-term substitute license may be issued to an applicant who:
- Are at least 20 years of age
- Enrolled in an educator preparation program, approved by the state superintendent that awards a bachelor’s degree
- Has successfully completed a minimum number of credits to have achieved junior status, AND
- Has completed 15 hours of classroom observation
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
- Use the fingerprint decision tree to determine if this step is needed. If you have determined that you need fingerprints, submit them electronically via our vendor Fieldprint by following the Electronic Fingerprint Submission directions.
2. Gather Documents
Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
- Obtain evidence that you are currently enrolled in a state approved educator preparation program and meet the other requirements outlined above. Acceptable documentation of EPP enrollment and other eligibility requirements must be shown through:
- PI-1975 Substitute Teacher Educator Preparation Program Verification Form - from your educator preparation program. Refer to How to Complete the Substitute Teacher Verification Form.
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Choose "1-Teacher Category"
Choose "S-Teacher - Short Term Substitute License [T910]"
Choose "Teacher: Request EPP Verified Short Term Sub License 
- Click the “GO!” button.
- Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see Check Application Status.