Reading Teacher (1316)
A Reading Teacher license is required for the following:
- An assignment to teach reading for more than one class per day.
- An assignment to teach reading in a Title 1 reading program.
- An assignment to teach in a reading recovery program, if not part of a self-contained classroom.
A Reading Teacher license is not required for the following:
- An assignment to teach reading that is part of a regular self-contained classroom.
- As assignment to teach reading that is integrated as part of content courses (i.e. reading in the content area).
Reading Specialist (1317)
A Reading Specialist license is a license in administrative category. A Reading Specialist license is required for someone who directs reading programs or works with reading teachers, classroom teacher, administrators, and others as a resource teacher in reading.
Broadfield Language Arts (1301)
The Broadfield Language Arts license holder (for program completers 9/1/2004 - present) may teach any language arts subject at the Early Adolescence – Adolescence level, up through grade 10, and any basic or fusion language arts subject in grades 11-12 that is NOT:
- A semester-long discrete course in a PI 34 language arts category (e.g. Speech Communication, Journalism, or English)
- An honors, International Baccalaureate (IB), or Advanced Placement (AP) course
- Part of the college preparatory sequence and/or an elective course with more depth of content than basic courses.
To teach a course under criteria 1, 2, or 3 above, the teacher must hold a license based on completion of at least a concentration in that subject area.