You are here

Reading and Language Arts

Latest Licensing News Blog

Important Notice


There have been many recent changes to licensure in statute and rule.  Please review the Latest Licensing News blog for updates on current licensing requirements.


Reading Teacher (316/1316)

A Reading Teacher license is required for the following:

  1. An assignment to teach reading for more than one class per day.
  2. An assignment to teach reading in a Title 1 reading program.
  3. An assignment to teach in a reading recovery program, if not part of a self-contained classroom.

A Reading Teacher license is not required for the following:

  • An assignment to teach reading that is part of a regular self-contained classroom.
  • As assignment to teach reading that is integrated as part of content courses (i.e. reading in the content area).

Reading Specialist (17/5017)

A Reading Specialist license is a license in administrative category. A Reading Specialist license is required for someone who directs reading programs or works with reading teachers, classroom teacher, administrators, and others as a resource teacher in reading. 

Broadfield Language Arts (301/1301)

The Broadfield Language Arts license holder (for program completers 9/1/2004 - present) may teach any language arts subject at the Early Adolescence – Adolescence level, up through grade 10, and any basic or fusion language arts subject in grades 11-12 that is NOT:

  1. A semester-long discrete course in a PI 34 language arts category (e.g. Speech Communication, Journalism, or English)
  2. An honors, International Baccalaureate (IB), or Advanced Placement (AP) course
  3. Part of the college preparatory sequence and/or an elective course with more depth of content than basic courses.

To teach a course under criteria 1, 2, or 3 above, the teacher must hold a license based on completion of at least a concentration in that subject area.