You are here

Three-Year Short-Term Substitute License

Latest Licensing News Blog

Important Notice


There have been many recent changes to licensure in statute and rule.  Please review the Latest Licensing News blog for updates on current licensing requirements.


A Three-Year Short-Term Substitute license may be issued to an applicant who holds an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university and who has successfully completed an approved substitute training program, but has not completed a state-approved educator preparation program.  Once an educator holds a current Three-Year Short-Term Substitute license, they may short-term substitute at any Wisconsin school district that wishes to hire them.

The Three-Year Short-Term Substitute license allows the educator to be in a short-term (no more than 45 days in a specific assignment) substitute assignment. The Three-Year Short-Term Substitute license does not allow the license holder to be in a long-term substitute assignment.  For long-term substitute assignment, the applicant may apply for a License with Stipulations if requested by the employing school district. A License with Stipulations requires the educator to be enrolled in and complete a state-approved educator preparation program in the subject or grade level of their assignment under the License with Stipulations.

The substitute license is issued for a period of 3 years.

Applicants must successfully completed the district-selected substitute training.  As per PI 34.032, the substitute training must include all of the following:

  • Basic school district and school policies and procedures.
  • Age-appropriate teaching strategies.
  • Discipline, conflict resolution, and classroom management techniques.
  • Health and safety issues, including handling medical emergencies.
  • Techniques for starting a class.
  • The culture of schools and the teaching profession.
  • Working with lesson plans.
  • Working with children with disabilities, including confidentiality issues.

If a district only provides training to their own substitutes, they are not required to have this training approved by DPI. If a district wishes to have their substitute training listed on the DPI website so that any applicant for the short-term substitute license can find and take this training, the training must be approved by DPI.


License Application Requirements (starting August 1st)

To apply for a Three-Year Short-Term Substitute license:

  • Applicant must hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university. Submit original transcripts with the application.
  • Applicant must submit evidence that they have successfully completed the district-selected substitute training. The following are acceptable forms of documentation:
    • Confirmation letter of successful completion, on district letterhead, including date of completion, signed by an authorized Administrator.
    • Certificate of completion from a DPI approved substitute training program, including date of completion.
    • PI-1633 Substitute Teacher Training Verification Form


Application Process

Directions for applying for a Three-Year Short-Term Substitute license can be found at


Substitute Teacher Training Programs

The following organizations offer training programs for substitute teaching:


Related information: