Program Description: The Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) provides children in participating elementary schools with a variety of free fresh fruits and vegetables. This grant opportunity must be applied for annually. The level of funds provided to any one school depends on the school's enrollment and the available funding provided by the USDA.
Purpose: The purpose of the program is to expand and increase the variety and amount of fruits and vegetables children experience and consume. Combined with nutrition education and a reinforcement of healthful eating habits, the program emphasizes the long-term goals of positively influencing children's life-long eating habits and combating childhood obesity.
Who is Eligible to Apply:
Public and non-profit private elementary schools that have 50% or greater of their students receiving free and/or reduced price meals.
Schools participating in the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) if their individual school Identified Student Percentage (ISP) multiplied by 1.6 equals 50% of higher. This represents the CEP school's free and reduced-price eligibility equivalent.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact:
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program Grant for School Year 2019-2020
Pending receipt of funds from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) grants will be available for the 2019-2020 school year. The level of funds provided to any one school depends on the school’s enrollment and the available funding provided by the USDA. Multiple school sites may apply to receive funding; however, separate applications for each site are required.
The application period has closed. Applicants will be notified of their grant status this summer.
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program Resources
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program Grant for School Year 2018-2019
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program: Allocation of Funds for Fiscal Year 2019, SP 16-2018, 05/25/18
- Proposed Rule on the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program, published 2/24/12
- USDA Guidance Memos - look here for updates from the USDA on program administration
- Teacher Modeling in the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program, SP 08-2011, 11/5/10
- School Food Authorities (SFAs) Purchasing Produce from U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) Vendors Using Section 4 and 11 or Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) Funds SP 25-2014; FD 133-2014, 3/6/14
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program Fees in FSMC Contracts, 5/31/12
- USDA FFVP Toolkit - Provides a variety of resources from state agencies to help you build a successful FFVP
- Professional Standard Training Requirements