The Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) provides all children in participating schools with a variety of free fresh fruits and vegetables during the school day. It is an effective and creative way of introducing fresh fruits and vegetables as healthy snack options. Elementary schools with a free and reduced-priced eligibility of 50%, or Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) equivalent, or higher may apply for this grant opportunity each year.
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program Grant for School Year 2022-23
The FFVP application period for the 2022-23 school year has closed. Applicants will be notified of their grant status sometime this summer.
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program Resources
- USDA FFVP Handbook - A guide for schools that includes rules and guidelines for how to operate the program
- FFVP Online Services Manual - Instructions on how to submit claims and budget revisions
- FFVP Claiming Breakdown Record - Use this tool to keep track of your costs in each budget category and ensure your budget is approvable.
- Parent Letter (Spanish) (Hmong)- This editable letter may be sent home to parents or posted on the school's website to spread the word about the FFVP.
FFVP & COVID-19 Waivers
The following waivers are available for FFVP operators (or awarded schools) when congregate service is limited by the COVID-19 pandemic and students are learning virtually during the 2022-23 school year. If your SFA would like to use the following waivers, contact one of the FFVP Coordinators.
- Non-congregate Feeding Waiver - allows the fruit or vegetable snack to be taken off site by students.
- Mealtime Flexibility Waiver - allows distribution of the fruit or vegetable snack alongside other Child Nutrition Program meals.
- Parent or Guardian Pickup Waiver –allows parents or guardians to pick up the fruit or vegetable snack.
- Alternate Serving Site Waiver - allows pick up of the fruit or vegetable snack from other sites.