The NSLP is a federally-assisted meal program operating in more than 94,000 public and nonprofit private schools and residential child care institutions (RCCIs). It was established under the National School Lunch Act and signed by President Harry Truman in 1946 and provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to more than 30 million children each school day.
Around the World in 80 Trays (January 18-22, 2021)
This campaign aims to increase international flavors in USDA School Meals Programs! DPI would like to acknowledge that food can do more than just nourish the body, but it can also offer an invitation to participate in and explore the many diverse cultures of Wisconsin students. Join the School Nutrition Team (SNT) and School Food Authorities (SFAs) across the state in this week-long culinary adventure, kicking off on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, 2021. What better way to celebrate the unique cultural backgrounds of students across this great state than by remembering the legacy of MLK Jr. and his dream of equality and inclusion for everyone.
Don't miss out on this opportunity to fly "Around the World in 80 Trays." Use the week of January 18-22, 2021 to introduce new flavors, create culturally inspired dishes, explore the tantalizing world of herbs and spices and connect with your students! Visit the International Meals section of the menu planning webpage for ideas and inspiration.
The SNT would love to see how you added more international flavors to your school meals. Send us a picture and you could be featured on our website, social media pages, in our newsletters and/or bulletins. Who knows, you might even grab the attention of USDA!
- Take the pledge! Sign up and help the SNT reach the goal of 80 SFAs participating!
- Fast Ideas Includes dips from around the world!
- Tip Sheet
World Map Activity Sheet new! This resource can be included with meals for students to mark off where their global cuisine originated!
Sample Week new! Need menu ideas? Check out this sample week! The DPI SNT searched the globe and compiled a weeks-worth of delicious recipes from five different countries. Click the link to access the menu planning worksheet, menu template, standardized recipes, and colorful promotional flyers. Bon voyage!
School Lunch Hero Day (May 7, 2021)
- School Lunch Hero Day Ideas for ways to celebrate, success stories, lunch gear and more!
- School Lunch Hero Day School Nutrition Association (SNA)
- Proclamation of School Lunch Hero Day
- Memorandum from State Superintendent Carolyn Stanford Taylor
- MyPlate Guide To School Lunch (USDA) For families, this infographic highlights how a variety of healthy foods from each MyPlate food group are included as part of a school lunch
For NSLP menu planning tools, visit the Menu Planning webpage.