In September 2021 USDA awarded Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) $1,997,999 for the School Breakfast Expansion (SBE) grant to subgrant to qualifying SFAs.
SFAs with qualifying schools received grant applications by email sent to each SFA’s food service director.
The application period for round one ended on 11:59pm on Friday, February 25, 2022. The second application period is now open and will close on 11:59pm on June 9, 2022.
The SBE grant is intended to increase school breakfast participation in Wisconsin. Qualifying schools can receive grants to establish, maintain, or expand an existing School Breakfast Program (SBP), promote breakfast within the school community, and enhance the nutritional quality of foods served. DPI will award subgrants with the priority for schools with the greatest number of students eligible for free or reduced price meals, so that schools may improve student access to nutritious breakfasts, thereby fostering better student health and education outcomes.
The award period for the SBE grant will span a period of two years from September 30, 2021 – September 30, 2023. The maximum each school may receive is $10,000 over two years for starting a new breakfast program or $4,000 over two years for expanding an existing breakfast program. Funds will be distributed once during each school year.
Schools that receive the grant may use the funds:
- To establish, promote, or expand their SBP;
- To extend the period school breakfast is available during the day;
- To change or add breakfast service models;
- For staff costs and/or labor, contractors, meeting expenses, travel, and training;
- To provide school breakfast to students of the qualifying school during the school day;
- To increase the nutritional content and/or quality of the food served;
- For program promotion and outreach activities to increase participation;
- For equipment under the capitalization threshold and supplies; or
- For other SBP related purposes.
At the close of the application period DPI School Nutrition Team (SNT) Breakfast Specialists will review SBE grant applications for accuracy and will verify that the total amount of funding requested is within the allowable limit for the category of activity for which you have applied.
Frequently asked questions about the School Breakfast Expansion grant may be answered through this Q & A document