National School Breakfast Week (NSBW) - March 4-8, 2024
- National School Breakfast Week - School Nutrition Association (SNA)
- DPI Memo
- Proclamation (State Superintendent)
Eating breakfast is important to helping students achieve academic success, whether they are learning in-person or virtually. School breakfast programs play a vital role in ensuring that all students have access to a nutritious breakfast to start the day.
2024 School Breakfast Champion Nominations
Is there someone in your school who has worked tirelessly to ensure students start each day with a healthy meal? Then complete the nomination form to enter your School Breakfast Champion to be recognized across the state for the amazing work they do! Those selected and their nominators will each receive prize funds to recognize their contribution.
A champion is anyone who takes action to improve school meals programs and helps kids get the nutrition they need to fuel their learning. It can be from any part of the district or school — a student who facilitates a taste test, a principal who promotes the program, a superintendent who supports a new breakfast service model, a teacher who lends a hand, or a school nutrition staff member who goes above and beyond. We know it takes a village to ensure every student is ready to learn each morning.
Nominations will be accepted until February 16, 2024. Winners will be selected in time for National School Breakfast Week (March 4-8, 2024). Check out the Hunger Task Force Webpage for more information.
Some ideas for celebrating NSBW:
- Decorate the serving area
- Post the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction’s National School Breakfast Week Proclamation in your school.
- Have students vote on the entrees that will be served for the week.
- Try a new breakfast entrée.
- Use resources on our website to promote breakfast to parents this week
- Send out the School Breakfast Program Brochure to give parents an overview of the benefits of School Breakfast.
- Share the breakfast video on our website with parents at a school event or PTO/PTA meeting prior to or during NSBW.
- Have a competition to increase breakfast participation. Recognize the class/grade/school with the greatest increase at the end of the week.
- Students who participate in the school breakfast program are entered into a drawing and can enter each day of the week. Five winners are selected on Friday (the last day of NSBW). A list of breakfast items is provided to the winners, and they each choose a favorite to be served on a day of their choice during the month of April. The April menu highlights the chosen items along with the students’ names. The event is promoted on the daily announcements and district website, and the winning students are recognized on the announcements.
You can also contact DPISBP@dpi.wi.gov to tell us how you celebrated.