School Breakfast Program
More than 8.1 million children across the United States start their day with the School Breakfast Program, a Federal program that provides States with cash assistance for non-profit breakfast programs in schools and residential child care institutions.
Wisconsin School Breakfast Challenge
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, Hunger Task Force, No Kid Hungry, and School Nutrition Association of Wisconsin are excited to announce the winners of the 2019-2020 Wisconsin School Breakfast Challenge! From December 2, 2019 to March 6, 2020, participating schools across Wisconsin joined in some friendly competition to boost their breakfast participation and we are thrilled with the results.
Percentage (%) Increase*
|Colby Winner||St. Anthony School||St. Anthony 2nd Street||38%|
|Colby Runner Up||Appleton Area School District||Franklin Elementary||37%|
|Swiss Winner||Hillsboro School District||Hillsboro Elementary||36%|
|Swiss Runner Up||Clayton School District||Clayton Elementary||33%|
|Mozzarella Winner||Darrell Lynn Hines College Preparatory Academy of Excellence||Darrell Lynn Hines College Preparatory Academy of Excellence||4%|
|Cheddar Winner||Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Schools||Our Lady of the Lake Catholic||38%|
|Cheddar Runner Up||Gibraltar School District||Gibraltar Elementary||17%|
|Big Cheese Winner||Stevens Point School District||P.J. Jacobs Junior High||--|
|Big Cheese Runner Up||Wausau School District||John Muir Middle||--|
*Winners in each category were determined based on the growth in the percentage of the student body participating in breakfast. The analysis compared the Average Daily Participation (ADP) across December 2018 through February 2019 to the ADP across December 2019 through February 2020. Data was provided by DPI and analyzed by No Kid Hungry.
1. Colby category: district enrollment greater than 875 students
2. Swiss category: district enrollment between 275 and 875 students
3. Mozzarella category: district enrollment less than 275 students
4. Cheddar category: districts implementing a new School Breakfast Program in SY 2019-20
5. Big Cheese: an optional bonus category for all participating schools. Schools had the chance to do various breakfast related activities and the top two schools were awarded based on the amount of points earned (participation data was not included in the analysis).
Mark your calendars for a virtual celebration on Tuesday, August 18 from 9-10 am. Winning schools will share their stories and successes during the challenge. We will also celebrate all Wisconsin schools, including all the amazing ways they have been continuing to feed our students during the COVID-19 pandemic. If you have a picture, story or positive word you would like to share with your fellow schools please submit to DPISBP@dpi.wi.gov by August 3 to be included in the presentation.
Conference ID: 504 389 800#
Registration is not required. To join the meeting, click on the link above, and click on “Watch on the Web” button. These calls will be recorded and posted to our website at a later date.
Additionally, Hunger Task Force will be featuring the winners on their Winners Circle webpage, be sure to check it out!
Wisconsin School Breakfast Statistics
- School Breakfast Program Enrollment and Participation Report (E&PR): These data reports provide district level information regarding student enrollment and free and reduced price eligible students. The report also provides meal participation data by free/reduced price and paid categories.
School Participation and Service Models
Food Research and Action Center (FRAC) Report
Severe Need Breakfast
A school is eligible for severe need reimbursement if 40% or more of the student lunches served at the school in the second preceding school year were served free or at a reduced price. Severe need payment is made on an individual school building basis. Regulations required documentation of eligibility to be maintained on file by the school agency for periodic review. Severe Need Breakfast request submission and approval is now part of the DPI SNT annual online contract renewal.
- Understanding USDA's Severe Need Breakfast Program Webcast
USDA Guidance Memorandum
Eligibility for Severe Need Rates for the School Breakfast Program (SBP) SP 23, USDA, 09/22/05