Wisconsin School Breakfast Challenge
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, Hunger Task Force, No Kid Hungry, and School Nutrition Association of Wisconsin are excited to announce the winners of the 2019-2020 Wisconsin School Breakfast Challenge! From December 2, 2019 to March 6, 2020, participating schools across Wisconsin joined in some friendly competition to boost their breakfast participation and we are thrilled with the results.
Percentage (%) Increase*
|Colby Winner||St. Anthony School||St. Anthony 2nd Street||38%|
|Colby Runner Up||Appleton Area School District||Franklin Elementary||37%|
|Swiss Winner||Hillsboro School District||Hillsboro Elementary||36%|
|Swiss Runner Up||Clayton School District||Clayton Elementary||33%|
|Mozzarella Winner||Darrell Lynn Hines College Preparatory Academy of Excellence||Darrell Lynn Hines College Preparatory Academy of Excellence||4%|
|Cheddar Winner||Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Schools||Our Lady of the Lake Catholic||38%|
|Cheddar Runner Up||Gibraltar School District||Gibraltar Elementary||17%|
|Big Cheese Winner||Stevens Point School District||P.J. Jacobs Junior High||--|
|Big Cheese Runner Up||Wausau School District||John Muir Middle||--|
*Winners in each category were determined based on the growth in the percentage of the student body participating in breakfast. The analysis compared the Average Daily Participation (ADP) across December 2018 through February 2019 to the ADP across December 2019 through February 2020. Data was provided by DPI and analyzed by No Kid Hungry.
1. Colby category: district enrollment greater than 875 students
2. Swiss category: district enrollment between 275 and 875 students
3. Mozzarella category: district enrollment less than 275 students
4. Cheddar category: districts implementing a new School Breakfast Program in SY 2019-20
5. Big Cheese: an optional bonus category for all participating schools. Schools had the chance to do various breakfast related activities and the top two schools were awarded based on the amount of points earned (participation data was not included in the analysis).
Hunger Task Force will be featuring the winners on their Winners Circle webpage, so be sure to check it out!