Around the World in 80 Trays (January 17-21, 2022)
Around the World in 80 Trays is a state-wide event with the purpose of increasing global flavors in USDA School Meals Programs! DPI would like to acknowledge that food can do more than just nourish the body, but it can offer an invitation to explore the diverse cultures of Wisconsin students.
Join the School Nutrition Team and schools/districts across the state in this week-long culinary adventure, kicking off on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, January 17, 2022. What better way to celebrate the unique cultural backgrounds of students across the state than by remembering the legacy of MLK Jr. and his dream of equality and inclusion for all.
Use the resources below to introduce new flavors, create culturally inspired dishes, and to most importantly, connect with your students. Bon voyage!
- Tip Sheet for a Successful Event
- Logo (use with Around the World in 80 Trays communications)
- USDA MyPlate Graphic (available in 21 languages)
Sample Week Need menu ideas? The DPI SNT searched the globe and compiled a weeks-worth of delicious recipes from five different countries. Click the link to access the menu planning worksheet, menu template, standardized recipes, and colorful promotional flyers.
- Fast Recipe Ideas Includes dips from around the world.
- Serving Up Tradition: A Guide for School Food in Culturally Diverse Communities (Massachusetts Farm to School)
- Multicultural CACFP Recipes (USDA)
- International Recipes (Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin)
- Let's Cook Healthy School Meals (Project Bread)
- Back to Basics: Culinary Workshop Recipes (John C. Stalker Institute)
- Let's Cook, Wisconsin School Meals Rock Cycle Menus
Educational Activity Resources
- World Map Activity Sheet This resource can be included with meals for students to mark off where their global cuisine originated.
- Breakfasts Around the World (USDA Team Nutrition) Take a trip around the world and explore what people in different countries may eat for breakfast.
Global Meals from Wisconsin Schools