National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) is a federally assisted meal program operating in more than 94,000 public and nonprofit private schools and residential child care institutions. It provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to more than 30 million children each school day. It was established under the National School Lunch Act and signed by President Harry Truman in 1946.
School Lunch Hero Day - coming soon!
- School Lunch Hero Day - School Nutrition Association
Support for Program
- USDA Team Nutrition Infographic: MyPlate Guide To School Lunch
- Fact Sheet: Schools Serving, Kids Eating Healthier School meals Thanks to Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act 09/01/2015, USDA
- A Signed Letter from Michelle Obama Praising the Work of School Nutrition Professionals
- 10/2/12 FNS Letter from Under Secretary Concannon addressing questions surrounding the NSLP's new meal pattern requirements.
USDA Healthy School Meals Standards Are Proving Popular - USDA Video [Video]