The Processing workshop was held August 16th at Granite Ridge School in the Monona Grove School District and was hosted by Food Service Director Maggie Sanna and REAP’s Allison Pfaff Harris. In this action-oriented workshop, we learned about washing and storing, chopping and dicing, weighing and measuring, blanching and freezing, and packing and serving of garden-fresh fruits and vegetables to serve in school meals. It was a fun, action-packed day!
Workshop Objectives Include:
- Learn how to process garden-fresh produce safely, including safe food handling in receiving and storage.
- Understand best practices to store food at peak quality for a longer period of time.
- Learn to calculate bushels and pounds into cups and servings; buy what you need and use what you buy
- Expand knowledge of processing efficiently including kitchen equipment, knife skills, ergonomics, and staff workflow
- Gain ideas to align your processing with your menu, service models and student engagement