Revised on June 30, 2020.
The Department of Public Instruction (DPI) understands that guidance can change quickly as information evolves.
DPI frequently updates its COVID-19 webpage to reflect the current situation with this novel coronavirus being monitored by the CDC.
The Special Education Team regularly updates its Extended School Closure Due to COVID-19 Special Education Question and Answer Document regarding the impact on students with IEPs. (Updated 5/21/2020)
The department has recorded a presentation to help develop a greater understanding, particularly for families, of guidance issued to date in response to challenges facing school communities as a result of the COVID-19 Pandemic. In particular, the presentation focuses on the guidance contained in the Extended School Closure Due to COVID-19 Special Education Question and Answer Document.
- Information Update Bulletin 20.01: Additional Services due to Extended School Closures (Added 5/29/20)
- The Special Education Team has changed district responsibilities related to data collection and reporting during this time of school closures. (Updated 05/21/20)
- Teleservice Considerations for Related Services During the Current Public Health Emergency (Updated 04/30/20)
- Interim COVID-19 Transportation Guidance (Added 6/30/20)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and COVID-19
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services COVID-19 page
- Virtual Learning Time for Public Schools
- Conducting Parent Friendly and Productive Virtual IEP Meetings
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding School Finance and COVID-19
- Documenting Extension of Evaluation Timeline in Connection with Extended School Closure
- The department has not produced a sample form for documenting extensions for evaluations that cannot be completed, due to extended school closure, within 60 days of receiving parent consent. The link below is an example of a form, with minor modifications, developed by the Racine Unified School District. The department is not requiring the use of this form and is providing this document solely as an example. The use of this form or any other method of documentation must be consistent with the guidance contained within the Extended School Closure Due to COVID-19 Special Education Question and Answer Document, as well as the requirements under 34 CFR § 300.301(d) and Wis. Stat. § 115.78(3)(b). The department gratefully acknowledges the Racine Unified School District for this contribution.
- Example Form
DPI continues to share updated information with district administrators frequently. There is a listing of these updates and any attachments at the district administrators' email chrono page. Additional special education and pupil services newsletter items are archived here.
The Office of Special Education Programs has provided a Frequently Asked Questions Document. Additional information was released on March 21, 2020, emphasizing that special education requirements are not a barrier to distance instruction.